Date: Sunday May 12, 2019 ♦ 10:00 am
- Friday, July 20, 2018 ● 10:00 am – 2:00 pm: Pre-registered packet pick up Lahaina Civic Center
Amphitheater Concession Booth
- Saturday, July 21, 2018
- All soloist must check in at the Outlets of Maui to pick up packet.
- Check-in 8:00am – 9:00am. NO ONE WILL BE ALLOWED TO CHECK-IN AFTER 9:00AM
- Competition begin at 10:00am
**start time are always subject to change**
- All dancers must be within their respective age categories to be eligible to participate.
- This Tahitian dance competition is open to any dance group, studio, organization, dance company, and/or independent soloist(s).
- There are no limit as to the number of soloists per dance group.
- Each solo contestant must complete an online registration packet and submit it with their fee of $45 before the deadline: Saturday, July 14, 2018.
- Late application will be accepted with a fee of $60
- Or by mail postmarked July 11, 2018 (application, hold harmless agreement, media release form and payment)
- Each registered contestant will be assigned a solo number and a wristband.
- All registered contestants will not be required to purchase an entrance ticket on the day of competition. DIVISION and AGE
- Beginner/Intermediate: Soloist falling under this category will meet either one or all:
- 1) Have 2 years or less of Competition Participation
- 2) Have not placed in any competition
- Advanced: Soloist falling under this category will meet either one or all:
- 1) Have over 3 years of Competition Participation
- 2) Have been awarded 1st Place or Overall in any Competition
- 3) Have placed in any competition, this include 1st , 2nd, 3rd, or 4th
- Ages 4 years and below Exhibition Only
- Tamari’i Tamaroa/Tamahine – Ages 5-7 yrs.; 8-10yrs - Taure’are’a Tamaroa/Tamahine – Ages 11-13yrs.; 14-17yrs.
- Toa Tane/Toa Vahine – Ages 18-21yrs.; 22-26yrs.; 27-35yrs.
- Matua Tane/Matua Vahine – Ages 36-45yrs.; 46yrs+
Please remember that it is the Ra’atira’s (Group Leader) responsibility to make the final determination for each of their soloist. Notice will be given prior to the event to the soloist should the judges or the organizer are aware of any soloist that is not in the proper division.
- Vahine participants must wear a solid or printed pareu that is 1 piece of fabric that reaches no higher than 3 inches above the knee. Pareu must be tied on the side. No silk pareu (cotton and rayon are allowed). No “rollups”. No ruffles or bands may be sewn onto the pareu. No hip bands. No props or handheld objects. Headwear and traditional neck piece are welcome.
- Tane participants must wear a solid or printed “maro” or “tihere” with very little arm and leg adornment. Headwear and traditional neck piece are welcome.
DRUMMING AND TIME
- House drummers will be provided for all Ori solo participants. Dancing will be impromptu.
- All solo divisions will be one and a half (1 ½) minutes to two (2) minutes maximum. Time limits may be changed at our discretion
- Vahine will be judged on ability to perform the following traditional steps: tamau, ta’iri tamau, fa’ arapu, varu, maha, tefene, haere raro I ne’e and tei
- Tane will be judged on ability to perform the following traditional steps: pa’oti, tu’e, nu’u, ou’a ofati, ne’e and pa’oti
- Dancers may use other steps in addition to the mandatory steps within the time limit.
- Ages 14 years and older: [6/25/18 1:46 PM] Finalists will be given one of four themes randomly to portray as they step up to compete EG: manu (birds), Fenua (land), Te moana (the sea), or Hoe va'a (canoe paddling)
- The elimination process consists of: First round elimination, a Final Round, and an Overall Round.
- Any division with four or less participants will automatically advance to the Final Round
- Group size may be changed at our discretion
- Scoring will be a single score on a 1-5 scale
- FINAL ROUND COMPETITION will be staged by category and division in which 1st , 2nd, and 3rd place winners will be chosen
- OVERALL WINNER title is only available in the advanced level solo competition portion. All first place winners from every advanced soloist age category will compete in an Overall Round. One Overall Vahine and one Overall Tane is selected
- TIE BREAKERS will be in a dance off.